Millions of people suffer because of teeth grinding. Many of them are not aware they have this problem because it happens while they are sleeping.
You could be a grinder if you:
- Experience frequent headaches
- Wake up often with jaw pain or facial pains
- Experience frequent neck, upper back, and shoulder pain
- Feel sensitivity in your teeth
You don’t have to continue suffering. Take control of your situation with assistance from our team at Relax Dental. Call 336-444-6608 to visit us in High Point or 336-347-4195 to visit us in Burlington, NC.
Why Are You Grinding?
Teeth grinding, also known as bruxism, doesn’t have just one cause. For many people, grinding is the result of a combination of factors.
All of these things may be an issue with your situation:
- Stress – When you are feeling anxious because of work, relationship issues, financial matter, or multiple things, you may grind or clench your teeth without realizing it.
- Medications – Some medicines, such as SSRIs, have been linked with teeth grinding.
- Age – Many children grind their teeth in the sleep, but outgrow it as they get older.
- Personality – People who are more aggressive and competitive are more likely to be teeth grinders.
- Other Disorders – Parkinson’s disease, ADHD, and sleep disorders (e.g. sleep apnea) have also been linked to grinding.
- Teeth Alignment – Crooked teeth and bite issues both can make you more prone to grinding as well.
Knowing what your factors are will help you find solutions. This may include learning stress-relief techniques, talking to your personal physician, and taking a proactive approach.
It Can Get Worse
Once you are aware of your teeth grinding, you do not want to ignore it. This is a situation that can go from bad to worse quickly.
You won’t be surprised that grinding your teeth into one another causes wear and tear. This can increase your risk of cavities, tooth infections, and gum disease.
The grinding also puts added pressure on your temporomandibular joints. These are the joints that allow you to open and close your mouth. When you have problems, you can experience TMJ problems, which can become TMJ disorders if left untreated.
Our doctors can design a nightguard that you can wear while you sleep. This is custom-made for your teeth. It creates a barrier between your upper and lower teeth.
This alleviates pressure on your jaw. As a result, you can avoid the jaw, face, neck, and other pains you have been experiencing. Wouldn’t you prefer to go through your days without frequent headaches and earaches?
Do Something Good for Yourself
You deserve to stop suffering. If you suspect that you might be a teeth grinder, do not wait to make an appointment with one of our doctors.
We can examine your teeth and look for signs of grinding. We will talk to you about your symptoms. Together, we can help you create a plan to get your oral health back and eliminate your pain. Depending on the level of your damage, you may need restorative care to rebuild damaged teeth. Some patients also will benefit from orthodontic treatment to correct teeth and bite alignment problems.
In the meantime, a nightguard can prevent your problem from getting worse. When used as part of your treatment plan, it can spare you months or even years of problems.
Do not lose your smile to teeth grinding. Stop your paint by getting relief at Relax Dental.
Call us today at 336-444-6608 in High Point or 336-347-4195 in Burlington, NC! You also can request an appointment online.